Akademgorodok is a part of Novosibirsk, located about 20 km south of the city. Akademgorodok is a “town” of scientific research; it was founded in 1957 and became the center of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences as a largest scientific center to the east of the Ural Mountains in Russia. Akademgorodok is built in the forest bordered by a botanical garden and the Ob reservoir (“Ob Sea”). More than 35 research institutes, various innovation and IT companies, as well as Novosibirsk State University, the center of student life, are situated there.
Novosibirsk Akademgorodok arose in the wake of the Soviet "thaw" along with the accelerated development of Siberia and Far East with their inexhaustible natural resources. In the postwar years, when the country was in need of industrial development, the Soviet scientists Academicians Mikhail Lavrentyev, Sergei Sobolev and Sergei Khristianovich proposed to organize in Siberia a large research center with the institutes in various fields of science. The idea has received broad support in the scientific community and many prominent scientists have expressed their desire to move to Siberia.
The Soviet government approved the proposal of Academicians. On May 18, 1957 the USSR Council of Ministers decided to set up in Novosibirsk in the territory of a thick pine forest the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, to strengthen the research in the field of physical-technical, natural, economic and humanitarian sciences.
To construct the academic campus, a free territory in the south of Novosibirsk, 20 km from the city center, was allocated near the newly created reservoir - the Ob Sea. On June 7, 1957 the Presidium of the USSR Academy of Sciences accepted the proposal for the establishment and construction of the Institutes of Mathematics with Computing Centre, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Hydrodynamics, Physics, Automation, Geology and Geophysics, Thermophysics, Experimental Biology and Medicine, Cytology and Genetics, Economics and Statistics in the Siberian Branch. After two years in Novosibirsk Akademgorodok the life seethed: houses and institutes have been built (the Institute of Hydrodynamics was the first (1959)) together with Novosibirsk State University.
Akademgorodok was to become something of an ideal environment for the scientists and students, aiming for the future. This fantastic idea, typical of the 60s, was also reflected in the toponymy of Akademgorodok: the Prospect of Science and University Avenue, Physicists street, boulevards of Tourists and Romantics (later renamed). The image of a new city for the young people was supported in every way by its founders and leaders. At one of the May Day demonstrations at the head of the column there were not the workers with posters, but the young mothers with babies in strollers, born first in Akademgorodok (the idea of Academician M.A. Lavrentyev).
Akademgorodok is a joint creation of man and nature. The area has quickly gained a prestigious status. Firstly, the best conditions for scientists have been created there; secondly, the town was located in a great place. During the design of Akademgorodok the special attention was paid to preservation of the unique nature of this area. Large forest, numerous artificial planting, proximity to the Ob Sea: all these made Akademgorodok even more attractive for living. Nature and activity of outstanding personalities, such as Academicians Mikhail Lavrentyev, Samson Kutateladze, Leonid Kantorovich, Valentin Koptyug, heart surgeon Eugene Meshalkin, et al., made Akademgorodok the remarkable place. Akademgorodok has the phenomenal spirit of atypical socialist town, surprising both the foreigners and our compatriots.
Currently Akademgorodok is one of the most important scientific and educational centers of Russia. In its territory, there are dozens of research institutes, Presidium of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (SB RAS), Novosibirsk State University (NSU), Specialized Educational Scientific Center and state-of-the-art technology park (Academpark).
The motto of the University: “We will not make you smarter; we'll teach you to think.” The main idea of education at NSU is to be able to learn throughout the life.
NSU was established in 1958 and now it is a part of the organizational structure of SB RAS. In this regard, the academic staff of the University is also the employees of the Academy of Sciences, and the students take the research vocational training at the institutes of Akademgorodok.
NovosibirskIn 2009, the University has received the status of National Research University, and in 2014, “Expert RA” rating has assigned class “B” to the University (very high level of graduates training). In 2013 - 2015, in almost all international rankings the University takes the respectable second or third place among Russian universities.
Today NSU includes the Physical-Mathematical School, Retraining College, High College of Informatics, research centers, 13 departments, doctoral and post-graduate courses, and more than 6.5 thousand students.
The House of Scientists of Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences is the communicative core of Akademgorodok. The House of Scientists is a complex with the Presidium premises, conference halls, library, restaurant, winter garden, club rooms, gymnasium and concert hall. It plays the role of a “business card” of the world famous scientific town.
The world's first specialized Institute of Thermophysics was established in 1957 in the Novosibirsk Scientific Center of Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Academician Ivan Novikov - a recognized expert in the field of technical thermodynamics and thermal properties of substances became the first Director of the Institute.
Academician V.E. Nakoryakov, Director of the Institute from 1986 to 1997, has developed a number of new scientific avenues, including wave dynamics of two-phase fluids, heat and mass transfer processes in porous media, hydrodynamics of gas-liquid flows, absorption thermotransformers, and electrodiffusion flow diagnostics method.
Currently the Institute is headed by S.V. Alekseenko, the Corresponding Member of RAS. Kutateladze Institute of Thermophysics is one of the leading scientific centers in the field of heat transfer and physical hydrodynamics.
Since 1964 to 1986, the Institute was headed by Academician S.S. Kutateladze, an outstanding scientist, who made a significant contribution to various areas of thermal physics and heat and power engineering, such as the hydrodynamic theory of boiling crisis, similarity theory of heat transfer processes in physical-chemical transformations, limiting relative laws of friction and heat transfer in the turbulent boundary layers, study of heat transfer and hydrodynamics in liquid metals. In 1994, the Institute of Thermophysics was named after S.S. Kutateladze.
Academpark is an integrated technology park with unique business and technological infrastructure providing ideal conditions for generation and development of innovative companies as well as successful development of existing innovative productions; it is a place where research turns into industrial technologies.
Academpark includes the Center for Information Technologies, Business incubators, Multi Access Center, etc.
The memorial to Academician Valentin A. Koptyug. Opened in 2001 in Akademgorodok. Sculptor: Vyacheslav Klykov. Academician V.A. Koptiug (1931-1997) - a prominent scientist, who made an invaluable contribution to the research in the field of organic chemistry; Vice President of Russian Academy of Sciences, President of the International Union of Chemists.
The sculptural composition “Waltz of Victory”; next to this monument, the Memory Lane of juvenile prisoners of nazi concentration camps.
Photo exhibition, dedicated to the history of Akademgorodok.
The exhibition was timed to the 120th anniversary of Novosibirsk and the 55th anniversary of the region.
The Monument to a laboratory mouse is located in a park near the Institute of Cytology and Genetics of SB RAS. It was opened on July 1, 2013; the opening was timed to the 120th anniversary of Novosibirsk. The monument symbolizes the mankind gratitude to the animal for the ability to use mice to study animal genes, molecular and physical mechanisms of diseases, and develop new drugs.
The Central Siberian Geological Museum, founded in July 1958, holds the samples from 50 countries and all regions of Russia. The collection includes about a thousand species of minerals while the total number of exhibits is about 20 thousand.
There are over 700 mineral samples, artificial minerals, collection of meteorites, and the Paleontological Department.
The museum was founded in 1979 on the initiative of Academician A.P. Okladnikov. The museum belongs to the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography, located in Akademgorodok. The museum exhibition includes archaeological sites of Siberian peoples, collected from all over Siberia, examples of Russian wooden architecture, reconstructions of traps for animals, etc. The oldest artifact dates back to 300,000 years BC, and the main “highlight” of the exposure is the Spaso-Zashiverskaya church, built in 1700 on the Indigirka river, and transferred to Akademgorodok in the mid-1970s.
The commemorative collected works from the personal archives of Akademgorodok scientists and old residents, collection of artificial minerals, collection of Kuzbass coals and others are presented there.
The exhibition of this museum demonstrates the folk traditions to show the Sun and solar symbols; images of sun gods and symbols of the Sun in the rock carvings of ancient peoples of Siberia, Far East and other regions; products of applied arts masters - embroidery, ceramics, bark - dedicated to the Sun and solar topics; the legends about the Sun and sun gods.
Hindu and Nepalese sun traditions as well as ancient Russian and Indian ones are widely presented.
Was opened on August 4, 2000. In total, the museum collection includes more than 60 exhibits, located on six routes. The museum has a large collection of steam locomotives, diesel locomotives, electric locomotives, railcars, worked mainly on the railways of Western Siberia. In addition, the museum's collection demonstrates the Soviet cars GAZ, Moskvich, and ZAZ of different model years, as well as several trucks, tractors and all-terrain vehicles.
The Museum represents the scientific research avenues of the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography. It includes six halls. The first five are devoted to archaeological research in Eurasia and built in the chronological order. One of the main exhibits is the Altai Princess – the name, given by journalists and residents of the Altai Republic to the mummy woman. This is one of the most significant discoveries of Russian archeology in the end of the XX century. The exhibition includes the world-class materials: mummies, Pazyryks clothing, horse decorations, arms, and burial structures. The exhibition is by the items of Scythian cultures of Siberia and the subjects of synchronous cultures of the Far East.
The Botanic Garden is an integration center of botanical and ecological research in Siberia. It presents very exotic exhibitions: “Bonsai in the open ground” and “Garden of continuous blooming” with fifty different flowers.